Raid on Bungeling Bay
Typed out by email@example.com
Raid on Bungeling Bay(tm)
Controlling the helicopter
Up: Forward (hold down to accelerate)
Down: Backward (release to stop)
Left: Turn left
Right: Turn right
Press to fire machine gun and to land and take-off.
Press to drop a bomb and to land and take off.
* The usage of the number two controller is described on page 13, How to Play
with Two Players.
By pressing this button the * moves to choose the desired game mode.
* Game B is made for advanced players. It starts play at level three. For the
two player game, refer to page 13.
By pressing this button, the game that you selected using the SELECT button
To Pause: If you wish to interrupt play in the middle of a game, press the
START button. The pause tone will sound, and game will stop. Press the START
button again when you wish to continue playing. The game will continue from
where you left off.
* When you start the game, this screen (shown at right) will appear on the
screen. It shows the current round, number of factories remaining, number of
helicopters remaining, current score and high score (when the helicopter
crashes, this screen also appears).
- High score will be lost if power to the machine is turned off.
How to play
We have obtained information that the Bungeling Empire is trying to conquer
the Earth by developing a War Machine. In order to stop this, you must sneak
into their center (Bungeling Bay) to destroy the six secret factories using a
helicopter. This is your mission.
The size of the playfield is 100 times the screen size
The playfield scrolls 16 directions as the helicopter moves. The entire world
is 10 screens high by 10 screens wide (100 screens total). Since the edges are
connected to each other, the helicopter will continuously circle the world.
You have to find the 6 secret factories which are located on the islands in
the bay and destroy them. The enemy defenses protecting the island will be
trying to shoot you down. When you destroy all 6 factories, you can proceed to
the next round.
Important information is displayed on the screen.
"S": Your current score.
"D": Damage of the helicopter.
"-)": Direction to the carrier (from the helicopter).
"B": Number of bombs remaining in helicopter.
"F": Number of enemy factories remaining.
"DESTROY": This appears when you've destroyed a factory completely.
"SPECIAL": When certain conditions are met and you destroy a factory, this
message will appear and you will receive a special bonus score.
"ALERT": This means the carrier is being attacked by bombers. Return to defend
it before it is sunk. You cannot land while your carrier is being attacked.
"SUNK!": When this flashes on the screen it means that the carrier has been
sunk. The arrow will disappear and you will be flying your last copter.
"WARNING": The enemy battleship is being built or leaving port to attack your
* If any of the last five messages are displayed, the display of "D", "B" and
"F" will disappear. Also, when the carrier is visible, "S" and "->" will
- The helicopter can be controlled using the control pad to fly sixteen
directions. Forward movement has 32 speeds and backward movement is about
30% of maximum forward speed.
- The machine gun can only be fired foward. By pressing the "A" button
continuously you can fire unlimited bullets. You can destroy all the enemies
except the factories and battleship with the machine gun.
- The helicopter can carry a maximum of nine bombs. By pressing the "B"
button, you can drop one per second. Use this when you attack the factories
and the battleship.
Landing on and taking off from the carrier -
- When you are stopped or moving very slowly over the carrier, press button
"A" or "B" to land. You cannot land during an ALERT, while your ship is
- When you land you will hear the music change when you are on the deck. Bombs
will be replenished and damage will be fixed.
- After being rearmed and repaired, press the "A" or "B" button to take off.
You will hear the music change when the helicopter has cleared the deck.
Stealing bombs from the Bungelings
- Intelligence reports that one of the enemy islands has an area in which you
can land and steal bombs from the Bungelings. It's up to you to find it.
- When you land at the Bungeling base, damage over 60% will be repared to 50-
60% damage. The time needed to land and take-off from the enemy base is
somewhat longer than on the carrier.
- If an enemy touches you while you are on the ground you will explode.
- Damage will increase each time the helicopter is hit by an enemy attack.
- Depending on the amount of damage, your flying ability and the color of the
bay will change.
- If the helicopter is damaged beyond 100%, speed control is useless, steering
becomes 50% effective, the machine guns will still fire but bombs cannot be
dropped and the helicopter will begin a crash dive (the color of the sea
will be red).
Round Enemy's attack - Missile and Gun Turret Tank and Boat
1-2 30-37% 1%
3-4 40% 10%
5-up 60% 10%
Damage Flying ability Color of the sea
0-49 Maximum Blue
50-79 75% Yellow
80-99 50% Red
- The carrier follows a pre-set path in the bay, south to north.
- During the "ALERT", if the carrier is damaged heavily, it will sink (in
roung one it takes about 70 enemy bombs, in rounds two and up it takes about
40 enemy bombs).
- The damage to the carrier will be fully repaired if you kill all the bombers
which are attacking it.
- If the carrier and battleship enter the same screen, the battleship will
torpedo the carrier and it will sink.
- If the carrier is sunk, the helicopter you are flying is your last. The
carrier will be gone for the rest of the game.
- If you get a "SPECIAL" while destroying a factory, the carrier will change
color. It will revert to grey when you land on it.
- Factories are located at six locations throughout the islands. They are
constantly producing guns, missiles, planes, boats, radar diskes and the
- The factories get stronger the longer they're in operation. In the beginning
it takes about seven bombs to destroy a factory. Later in the game it may
take as many as twenty bombs to destroy a factory.
- When a factory is active, the center of it will be red and flashing. If it
is not operating the center will be black. An inoperative factory will
eventually become active again if not completely destroyed.
- These are produced and placed by factories.
- They fire in twelve directions. As the game progresses, they fire heat-
seeking missiles which follow your helicopter (when playing game B, they
will be able to fire missiles from the beginning of the game).
- Produced by factories. Patrol designated areas.
- These attack the helicopter with small arms, giving it light damage.
- Produced and placed by the factories.
- They don't directly attack the helicopter but they do detect the copter and
call fighter planes to the area.
- In game "A", when you destroy the first factory these will take to the air.
In game "B", they will be active from the beginning of the game.
- They fly in twelve directions.
- They attack ONLY the carrier, not the helicopter.
- The color of their windshields are red.
- These will be activated when the bombers are activated.
- They patrol designated areas, however as the helicopter gets near, or if
radar calls, they start attacking the helicopter using missiles.
- The color of their windshields are black.
- There are two types of missiles. Air-to-air missiles go straight. Ground-to-
air and ship-to-air missiles are heat-seekers.
- Heat-seekers will run out of fuel and self destruct after following the
copter for short length of time.
- You can destroy the missiles using the machine gun, but you don't get any
points for destroying them.
- Produced by the factories, the boats patrol designated areas. They carry
- They attack the helicopter with small arms and may run into your carrier.
- There is also an amphibious type.
- During game "A", the battleship will appear starting with round two. During
game "B", the battleship will appear starting with round one.
- The first warning message means that the battleship is starting to be built.
- The second warning means the battleship has left the dock. If the helicopter
approaches the battleship, the ship will defend itself by firing heat-
- When the battleship reaches the path of the aircraft carrier, it will wait
for the carrier to pass and then sink it.
- It takes more than ten bombs to sink the battleship if it has left the dock.
How to play with two players
When you select "2-PLAY" at the title screen, two players and play
simultaneously. One player controls the helicopter with controller 1 and the
other controls the Bungeling War Machine with controller 2. Player 2 can use
the control pad to turn and fire the gun turrets. Button "A" fires bullets and
button "B" fires heat-seeking missiles (sometimes button "A" also fires heat-
Every time you kill the enemy characters, points will be added to your score.
* There is no score for player 2.
* If you fulfill certain conditions when destroying a factory, you can get
special bonus points.
* Depending on the score, the background color of the game will change.
Tanks and boats 50 points
Radar and gun turrets 100 points
Bombers and fighters 200 points
Battleship 5000 points
Factory 5000 points
Special bonus 5000 points
Plan of attack
This is a real-time simulation game with a lot of factors controlling the
action. Therefore, the attack plan that you make becomes an important part of
the game. Here are some of the basic strategies you may find useful.
- First, memorize the locations of all the factories (it may be a good idea to
make a map).
- Before attacking a factory, destroy the gun turret(s) and tanks around it.
- Attack the same factory repeatedly (if you do not destroy a factory
completely, it will rebuild itself).
- When the "ALERT" message appears, return to the carrier immediately.
- When the "WARNING" message appears, find the dock as soon as possible before
the enemy battleship leaves the dock. It will be much harder to destroy if
it has left the dock.
- If the helicopter is damaged beyond 100%, try to steer the helicopter to
crash on a factory.