Typed out by firstname.lastname@example.org
E Instruction Booklet
GameTek brings to Game Boy one of the biggest names in TV game
shows - JEOPARDY! Be the first to press the buzzer and the "cash"
is yours. This Nintendo Game Boy version of the second-highest-rated
TV game show is just like the original. Play alone against a computer,
or play with a friend either on one Game Boy unit or on two with a
Game link hook-up. We've packed big brains in a small box for great
fun and great challenges!
How To Use The Controller . . . . . . . . . . . . 3
1- or 2-Player Game (One Game Boy) . . . . . . . .4
2-Player Game Link Game . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6
How to Play Jeopardy! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8
Daily Double . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .13
Double Jeopardy! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14
Final Jeopardy! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .15
Messages to Players . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .17
Hints On Game Play . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17
HOW TO USE THE CONTROLLER
Pressing the arrowed tips:
1. Up or down moves the cursor to game play selections, character
selections, and wager selections.
2. Left or right moves the cursor across category heading.
3. Left or right, up or down, or wrapping around selects letters, numerals,
symbols, SPC (Space), DEL (Delete) or END.
1. Confirms the selection of characters, letters, numerals, symbols, SPC,
DEL, END, categories and wagers.
2. Advances screen..
Pauses and restarts the game.
SETTING UP A 1- OR 2-PLAYER GAME (ONE GAME BOY)
1. When the switch is turned on, the Nintendo logo will be displayed,
followed by the Jeopardy! title screen.
2. When the Game Selection screen appears, use the up or down arrow
on the Control Pad to select a 1-Player-Versus-the-Computer or a 2-Player
game. Confirm your selection with Button A. (The video link game cannot
be accessed unless there is a hook-up.)
3. The Name Entering screen follows:
a. In a 2-player, One-Game Boy game, players decided in advance who is
to go first. That player uses the 4 tips of his/her Control Pad to move
the cursor right and left, up and down, and wrapping around the board to
spell out his/her name (up to 5 letters), confirming each with Button A,
then scrolling to END and confirming with Button A. (An incorrect letter
can be "erased" by scrolling to DEL or to <- before scrolling to END.
b. In a 1-Player-Versus-the-Computer game, the human player enters
his/her name as in 3a. An opponent is automatically selected and named,
and appears as a second player.
4. Player #1, you are shown a character seated at the first console. Use
the up or down arrows to change to the character of your choice; confirm
your selection with Button A. Player #2, follow the same procedures.
SETTING UP A 2-PLAYER GAME LINK GAME
1. Before starting, you will need the following:
a. 2 GAME BOY units
b. 2 JEOPARDY! Game Paks
c. 1 Game Link Cable
2. Connect the Game Link cable and check that the Game Paks have been
inserted correctly in place. Then turn the power switches ON.
3. Check that the title screens are displayed on both GAME BOY units.
4. When the Game Selection screen appears, both players use the up or
down arrow on the Control Pad to select "3," GameLink play; confirm
with Button A.
5. The players decide in advance whose GAME BOY will be the "master."
That player will go first in the name and selections, as in Steps GAME
BOY Unit 3a and 4 of the 2-player One-Game Boy game.
NOTE: The game will stop if step 2 has not been carried out correctly,
or if the Game Link cable is pulled out and inserted again during the game.
If this happens, turn the power switches of both GAME BOY units OFF and
begin the set-up procedure from Step 2 again.
HOW TO PLAY JEOPARDY!
1. The Jeopardy! board appears on the screen with categories headed
by the letters A through E. Each category's title and identifying letter
are displayed above the board.
a. Player #1, press the Control Pad right or left to move horizontally
across the 6 categories. Stop at your selection and confirm it with Button A.
b. Move the Control Pad up or down to select a wager from $100 to
$500. (Generally, the higher the wager, the harder the question.)
Confirm your wager with Button A.
2. Both players now get ready for the "answer" to appear on the screen
and be the first to "buzz in" with the "question" as the timer counts down.
a. In a 2-Player One-Game Boy game, Player #1 presses the center of the
Control Pad and Player #2 presses Button A.
b. In a 2-Player Video Link game, each player uses his/her own Button A.
c. In a 1-Player game against the computer, the player uses any button
3. As soon as the answer appears, a timer at the top starts the countdown
from 10 to 00, waiting for a player to buzz in.
a. If one player does buzz in, go directly to step 4.
b. If no player buzzes and the time runs out, you will be advised of
this and the correct question will be displayed on the screen. The
original player then selects a new category and wager.
4. The player who has buzzed in first has control of the board, shutting
out the other player. The screen displays the 2 players at their consoles,
with flashing lights in front of the player who has buzzed in. The answer
reappears on the screen along with:
a. The name of the player who buzzed in
b. The timer starting a countdown from 60 to 00
c. The first part of the question (WHO IS. . .or WHAT IS. . .or WHAT ARE, etc.)
d. The alphabet/number board on which the question is to be completed.
5. For this explanation, we'll say Player #1 has buzzed in first.
a. Player #1, scroll the cursor to spell out your question, confirming
each letter with Button A.
b. Scroll to END and confirm with Button A.
c. Spelling must be completed and confirmed before the timer reaches 00.
6. If the question is correct, the amount wagered and won is added to
any previous winnings and posted in front of Player #1.
7. If the question is incorrect, the amount wagered is deducted from
these winnings, going to a minus figure when necessary. The answer
then reappears on the screen, and Player #2 has the option of buzzing
in to try the question during the remaining time not used by Player #1.
If neither player answers correctly, or if the time runs out, the correct
question is revealed on the screen.
8. The player who gives the correct question gets to select the next
category and wager.
9. Play continues until the board is cleared, or if the time runs out,
the correct question is revealed on the screen.
8 - 12
1. During play, a hidden Daily Double is revealed behind one of the 30
windows on the board. If you are the player who selects the wager
covering the Daily Double, you automatically shut out your opponent
and get to try that question alone.
a. If you have already accumulated winnings (for example, $250), you
can wager any amount between $5 and $250 by scrolling in that amount
on the Daily Double screen.
b. If you have no accumulated winnigs, you can choose any wager from
the board ($100-$500 in Jeopardy!, $200-$1,000 in Double Jeopardy!).
2. If your question is correct, the value of the wager is added to your
score; if incorrect, it is deducted.
1. Once the Jeopardy! board is completed, the Double Jeopardy! round begins.
2. Double Jeopardy! is played in the same manner as Jeopardy! except that:
a. The wages are doubled ($200-$1,000).
b. Two Daily Doubles are hidden randomly on the board.
3. The player with the lower score in the Jeopardy! round gets to start
Upon the completion of Double Jeopardy! either one or both players with
winnings accumulated get to compete in Final Jeopardy!
1. First, the category is displayed, and each player has the choice of betting
all, part, or none of his money. (The other player is asked to look away from
the Game Boy screen while this is being done.)